Saturday, March 30, 2013

shoes

Dear Wisdome,

Easter in Dezam.    Easter in Haiti.   Easter here is bouganvillea and palm leaf hearts, music, the churchy kind and the Ra Ra kind, & homemade kites decorating walls and the clear pre-rainy season sky.   It's a BEAUtiful time of year, my favourite Christian holiday.   I am thrilled to spend these two nights in Dezam.   Niko and I pulled our mattresses off the beds over to the other side of the room so there's nothing between the stars and us.  

Tomorrow morning, Jesus rises ALL over the world.   Today I listened to a sermon on living like Jesus.   Walking in my neighbourhood outside Cap Haitian, I feel like I have the persecution thing all figured out.   Fear, intimidation, misunderstanding, fear, defensiveness...is this what the people sending Jesus on the cross felt? Jesus knew that THIS on earth is not the whole scene.   But it must have hurt a lot to see people acting like idiots.   I bet it hurt more than the nails.  I bought some new shoes in Dezam.  Pink crocs.   And a friend of mine sewed up my birki's nice and tightly.    Plastic in it's most unrefined state (oil) has been around for a long time.   Maybe Jesus feet touched some of this oil that made my shoes.   I need Jesus in my shoes.  


No comments: