Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dear Wisdym


The name choosing has re-started in earnest.   This time Papa is leading the way almost every day coming up with another girl's name (Indira, Lunise, Magdelena).  But, then, we're not having trouble coming up with names for girls.  

As for me, I was born with a fascination for names, changed my own name several times in my growing years, gave myself a middle name, and once for entertainment invented an entire school directory listing names of the members of more than 100 families.   Age 13, I addressed my diary to Samantha who would be my first daughter.   

While in France I discovered new little gems like Cappucine and Maximillian, Senegal opened up the world of Muslim names like Safiatou, Ndeye, Maguette (that might be French), and Haiti presented a fusion of French (Jean Rémy), Catholic, modern (Rocky or Lovely), old-fashioned (Dieufèl, Bondyela), and invented names (Jeanida, Nifta) many which are only revealed by a birth certificate since most folks here have nicknames most often having nothing to do with their official first names (For example, our friend Marie-France has the nickname Cynthia, our former MCC cook Lusilya is called Kapab by everyone she knows because she is truly capable of just about everything.)     

To narrow down the options, I devised the following criteria to be included in a first name, a middle name, and the unwieldy Van-Geest-deGroot as last name: 

·      -part Biblical 
·     - a name that has meaning related to the time and place you are born 
·      -pronounce-able  in several languages (at least English and French) 
·     - beautiful, of course


·     - the meaning of your name to resonate with us and our values 

To the list Papa suggested that we take out any names with "S" since both of us parents slur our S's (although i'm pretty sure it's the S's in words that we slur).  Anyways, Niko can't currently pronounce S's at all.   So that would take out: Sofi, Soren, and Solendon (which I do love but a solendon is an extinct-? indigeneous Hispaniolan rodent).   Hélas! 

No comments: