Wednesday, October 14, 2009

As it turns out we don't need to go out and buy another "GWO tété" [BIG breast] as Gabriela has been talking about this for weeks. My milk was already here when Niko arrived due to Gabriela's love love relationship with nursing. Soooo, on the midwives suggestion, because my milk was a bit too milky for little Niknik, I encouraged Gabriela to nurse a bit too just to reduce the quantity a bit while at the same time not keeping my milk supply strong. Well we didn't even have to ask Gabriela because as soon as she sees them, she all game. Yesterday my breasts grew bigger than my belly so I knew the milk was even more HERE. Gabriela climbed up for a nurse and after a few big sucks sat up exclaiming in front of us and our neighbours "Mwen pa vle lèt!" [I don't want MILK!]. We all burst out laughing and she got cross-looking and then burst out laughing too. Then she asked Matt if she could nurse on him instead. We took this photo about 2 minutes later.
What a gift it is to be able to nurse! While both our first culture (Canadian) and our second culture (Haitian) are surprised to see us still nursing at age 3, we are happy that we are able to live out our instincts and ignore what doesn't seem to make sense to our instincts. We ENCOURAGE all Mamas to do the same (trust your instincts) whether it's nursing or bottle-feeding or writing post-modern lullabies. And we hope that both in Canada and Haiti that breastfeeding will be more and more encouraged and the breast will be celebrated for it's LIFE and HEALTH giving POWER above all.
EdG