Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Lonely

It's late . . . I'm staying up to find out who wins Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm hoping for the Penguins. It's into the second overtime now. As I sit here aimlessly meandering around the internet, mostly reading things on Haiti, I'm amazed at all the good people there are in the world. We've written before about our frustration with the bad rap that Haiti gets. We have another post in the works on that, based on the recent kidnapping of the young woman from Canada (she was released late last week). So when I read through the blogs of many of the people living and working here in Haiti, I'm thankful that there are people who genuinely love and care for a place like Haiti. You have to have lived in Haiti to understand its absurd reality, the strange mix of beauty and pain, and the daily reminder of the value of life and love in the face of deep poverty.

On another topic, I've been thinking a lot about loneliness. Frankly, it sucks. Esther and Gabriela have been in Canada for a few weeks now . . . and I can't really say that I've enjoyed it. I miss Gabriela like crazy. Esther too of course, but I so miss Gabriela. Sure, its been nice to have some freedom and time on my own, but evenings and weekends have been dreadfully boring. I've fallen into bad habits . . . like staying up late surfing the net, watching too many movies, and eating crappy food. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had macaroni and cheese (not KD) for dinner last night. Esther would kill me! Before they left, I thought a lot about what I wanted to do with this time. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on it. So yeah, loneliness - I think I might have more to say on that in the future. In the meantime, I'm gonna get my ass in gear and start on spanish lessons and try to do some woodworking!

Random addition: I think I've mentioned my friend Kurt here once or twice. He has a great post about a bathroom door meeting with Bill Clinton! Oh that it were true . . .

It's now the end of the second overtime and I can't stay up anymore. My empty bed awaits.



No comments: