Saturday, February 25, 2012

Wedded

Gabriela decided that this is where she wants to get married! While we wait for that event she'll settle for having her 6th birthday here. As for me, i am forever wedded to the idea that it's possible to sew together the rich and the poor (materially rich, materially poor). So it drives me crazy to hang out places like this except that they have these beautiful lounge chair and the view of upper and lower Port au Prince is so fabulous. Gabriela wants to get married here and why shouldn't every girl get what she wants!?? This sentiment is prominent enough in my first culture that even me (who often gets made fun of for my cluelessness about popculture) knows about it. By being me and raising Gabriela, I'm most likely raising her with this sentiment as if it's the only way. The truth is I don't know if this sentiment exists in Haitian culture or any other culture. Haitian culture might teach that girls should always have something to wish for, that the most important thing about your wedding is what you feed your guests or that if your relative works at a fancy hotel then he or she should obviously get you a deal to get married there. Seriously 5 years later and I still am only momentarily able to imagine thinking outside of my shoes and into someone else's, into Haitian culture. However I'm raising a daughter and now also a son who have less patience, less acceptance, lesser ability to share, greater pickiness, greater ability to use electronics, lesser chance of dehydration, lesser respect for authority, lesser tolerance for boredom and not being the center of attention, greater sense of entitlement, lesser resilience, less tolerance for disorder and decreased ability to make something out of nothing than the average kid around here.
Hmmmm. I'm wedded to the idea of sewing together the rich and the poor. I might not be engaged to the know how yet.

No comments: